Saturday, December 20, 2008

Super Mario Cart..... Snow Edition

You all know I am not a West Michigan native. I grew up in the Detroit area. We just don't get THAT much snow there. Sure we get the occasional few inches.... maybe 8.... that is something there. Over here... we get that in a night. Then we get 5 more fresh inches of LAKE EFFECT on top of that in two hours! But... I choose to live here because it is beautiful and I love it.
I have learned that if I drive slow and leave myself extra time and TRY not to worry about the jerks out there on the road everything will be okay.
YESTERDAY however, that is another story! Mother nature opened up a can of whoop ass and had a big hearty laugh at our expense. The morning commute was uneventful. The snow was falling, but not very hard. I had to drive slow, but I could see and all was well. Then I got to M-6/196 and it was NOT plowed.... (imagine carnival music) "Pick a lane, any lane folks, could send you this way, or that... who knows, we can't see.... Oh you there, you are in the median.... haha. You picked WRONG!" It was crazy! Thankfully I picked right. Just in time to come upon a semi that was slid off to the right, around I went..... and safely I arrived to the 44th st exit. Wait... where is it? Is that it..... no.... that is.... no..... wellllllll, let's take a chance........ and we are at the end..... and STUCK. NOT plowed! I backed up, thankfully no one was on the exit ramp! And crept forward ever so slowly and when the light turned green....... I floored it and zoooooom... over the snow I went..... screeching onto 44th street! I am an EXCELLENT driver! The rest of the trip was fine. Got to KC and couldn't find the darn driveway........ floored it and took a guess. UGH. I had arrived. Watched each child and parent walk in one looking more "pale and tragic" than the next. Some getting stuck in the driveway. AWESOME.
Left at about 3:30pm..... began to DIG my car out. I look out onto busy 44th St and see one of the parents STUCK in the median in her mini van. I say out loud to myself.... "How am I gonna help Missy?" So I set out across the parking lot, cross the street and begin digging out her tires, she gets out and starts kicking the snow out from around them and we look at each other, I say "Missy, I don't think I can push this myself!" And like a knight on a white steed, or in his case a big red truck, a very nice man in a camo hat (nice men wear camo!) appears and helps to push us out! There was also 2 others and they were awesome, a girl who was not wearing proper footwear and she fell down and the boy who stood at the front and used the shovel.... Bless them for stopping. :)
The camo man was also nice enough to push my car out for me. He commented that he had stopped to push 4 people out on his way home from work... he is on Santa's nice list this year!
Then..... the rest of my day was a lot of stopping and backing up and flooring it to get through the snow. Nice. Now my car is currently stuck outside my garage waiting for Timmy (again a man in camo) to come home to push it out.
BUT.... the sky is blue and the snow is not suppossed to start until later.

3 comments:

VandenBerg Family said...

I have a comment unrelated to your post. Darrin was looking at your Christmas card (thanks :) and he said "Emily's Tim looks kinda looks like me." And we agreed that they could be brothers. He really looks like Darrin's older brother Tom.

Em said...

:) I think Tim and Darrin would get along well. When I first met him I he reminded me a bit of Darrin. They are good guys!

Heather said...

Excellent subtle Clue quote. LOVE IT.