Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The Wild

Tim is a HUGE hunter. He eats, sleeps, breaths hunting. He can't even drive down the road without looking off to the side to see what animal might be off in the distance.
For the last week or so he has been all excited saying that he hears Turkeys gobbling behind our house. I can't hear them. When I do think I hear them he tell me that it is just a Goose.
Today when I was walking in the door after work he was excitedly running down the stairs like a kid on Christmas morning, "I hear a Turkey out back, I swear it must be right outside the fence"!!
He grabs the Turkey call thingy and goes outside. Sure enough, I see a big Tom (look how smart I am! I know that you call a male a Tom and a female a Hen! WOO HOO Go me) walking near the tree line by the neighbors house. He calls it, and it starts to strut! It's feathers go up, and it was big! I went inside to get my camera, but couldn't get a good shot through the trees of it when it was strutting. So I went through the back gate and down into the property that Tim hunts to try to get a closer look, Tim kept calling the Turkey.
He stayed on the two track for a minute so I could see him, then he walked away, and I followed him a bit. I "hunted" him with my camera. It was fun actually.
A couple of minutes ago I was sitting upstairs about to write this post I actually heard a Turkey gobble outside.... and I smiled.... I wonder if it was my big friend Tom!



4 comments:

heidi said...

that is awesome! Tim sounds exactly like rick looking off the side of the road and calling the turkeys out back... it's pretty crazy when they're actually in the yard too!

Heather said...

Was he delicious?

Em said...

I didn't eat him!! :)

Heather said...

Yeah, I guess you wouldn't have - he's not venison!

(Are we having venison at the wedding?)